This one pot chicken and rice quickly became my go-to weeknight recipes for minimal prep and next to no cleanup. It’s so satisfying tossing everything into one pan, as you remind yourself all of the pots and pans you aren’t going to be cleaning later.
The chicken is super flavorful, seasoned with turmeric, and cooked in white wine and chicken stock. It’s also really healthy! Packed with carrots and onion, and cooked only in a bit of olive oil. I cook this at least once a week and often take leftovers with me to work.
- 5 chicken drumsticks, salted on both sides
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 liter of chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon of turmeric
- 1 cup white rice
- 1-2 bay leaves
- olive oil
- salt to taste
- Sauté the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat. When the onions begin to turn translucent add the chicken drumsticks.
- Brown the chicken on both sides and then add the white wine and carrots and cook on medium-high heat until most of the wine has evaporated. Sprinkle the turmeric on top of each drumstick and then add about 1-2 cups of chicken stock. Add the bay leaves. Cover the pan, and cook on medium-low heat for 20 minutes. About halfway through the 20 minutes, flip the chicken over.
- When the chicken is cooked, remove it from the pan and set aside. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Add 1 heaping cup of rice to the broth and stir on high heat until the liquid has all been absorbed. Add the rest of the chicken stock and cook on medium heat for about 15-20 minutes or until the rice is done.
- Add the chicken back into the pan, resting it on top of the rice. Turn off the heat, cover the pan, and let sit for 5 minutes before serving.