This lentil stew is a very typical Galician dish. It’s simple to make and perfect for a cold winter day!
- 1 Spanish chorizo
- 1 thick slice of pancetta
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 potatoes, diced
- 1 pound dried lentils, soaked in water over night
- 1 bag of spinach
- olive oil
- 1. Soak the lentils in water overnight
- 2. Fry the pancetta, onion, and garlic in about 2 tbsps of olive oil. Add the tomato. Fry for several minutes until everything is soft. This mixture is called a sofrito.
- 3. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil and add the soaked lentils. The water should reach about an inch over the lentils. Reduce to low heat (simmering)
- 4. Add the sofrito to the lentils, along with the chorizo, bay leaf, carrot, and potato.
- 5. Cook on low for about an hour, or until the lentils are tender. Before serving, add the spinach to the top and allow to wilt down, about 10 more minutes, stirring to incorporate before adding more.
The Cozy Spoonful http://www.cozyspoonful.com/